Pattaya Beach is a truly welcoming, comfortable place for gay travelers. There are several reasons for this. Among these are that:
- Thai culture is generally more and tolerant of homosexuality than are many other cultures.
- Pattaya is a major destination and, in Thailand, gay Thais tend to concentrate around these places. Thus, the population of gay Thais relative to Thai population is quite large.
- There are many in Pattaya that actively seek gay customers. Many have gay owners.
- Gay foreigners have felt comfortable in Pattaya and have settled there.
- Most non-gay people in Pattaya have no interest in gay people one way or the other. They are too busy making money or chasing to be bothered or interested.
- The Thai tourism industry is naturally hospital to all guests…with the possible exception of terrorists and so forth!!!!
Thus, Thailand is an place for gay tourists, either traveling alone or with a partner, to visit and have fun.
Where in Pattaya is the best place for gay people to go? Well, most gays are comfortable on all the beaches and in all public places such as shopping malls and restaurants. There are a couple of areas in Pattaya that have many gay bars, , A Go-Gos and other businesses that serve gays. One area is called “Pattayaland” and is located near the street, east of the Royal Gardens Mall, and between the first and second beach roads. When on the second beach road, one can easily identify the area by a large “Boyztown” sign. A second area is located on and off of Soi 17, “Soi VC,” in South Pattaya, next to the VC Hotel. If one walks up Soi VC a few blocks, beginning where it intersects with the road heading toward Jomtien Beach, one will come to a smattering of gay bars and discos. To the right are two sois which together are called “Sunee Plaza.” Unfortunately, the “Sunee” part of the welcoming signs have been removed but the area is easy to recognize. The number of gay establishments here is very concentrated and is distinctly separated from the surrounding area. There is also a nice gay area in nearby Jomtien Beach, which also has its own gay beach, Dongtan Beach (lots of straight people go there, too). The gay area in Jomtien is located to the left of Theprasit Road between the north police station and the sharp right turn where TheprasitRoad heads due east to the beach. Dongtan Beach is to the right of the police station and a short walk from the gay bars andbusinesses.
What is the lesbian scene in Pattaya like? Unfortunately for gay ladies, there are no lesbian bars and there is no organized lesbian scene in Pattaya. It is possible for lesbians to meet young Thai ladies in heterosexual bars but everything is hit and miss. Many of the ladies in the bars will be as happy – maybe more happy - to go home with a young foreign lady as with a foreign man. Money will, however, always be involved. Some ladies working in the heterosexual bars are gay, but most are not. Many Thai ladies in heterosexual bars would not consider being entertained by a foreign woman in the woman’s hotel or guest house. A problem gay foreign women face in trying to meet a partner is that the Thai ladies often do not speak English – or any other foreign language except perhaps Lao – very well. Lesbians traveling with partners, however, will have very nice time together and will not be disturbed in anyway!! All doors will be open to them.